[sf-lug] Tutor me in Programming?

jim jim at well.com
Sat Sep 6 19:59:05 PDT 2008

(brazenly: ) back away and ask
* what kind of data is your program handling,
is it uniform (a bunch of numbers or a bunch
of names), does it have a beginning and an
end (user input from a keyboard has a beginning
but no predictable end), are there relations
between data elements (a name and a phone
number, a number and its square).
* what result is wanted? sort the data,
compress it, eliminate as much as possible,
record (log) it in a certain fashion....
* what tools are available to you to use?
various programming languages, various
libraries or modules?

how to think like a programmer:
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/programming-and-development/?p=43

how to think like a computer scientist:
http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

(those who know me, forgive me: ) consider
learning python
* it's human readable to the max
* colleges are switching to python from C as
their intro to programming language
* one of the backbone principles is not to
be "clever"
* python literature and modules are well-
documented and with respect to expressing an
elegant problem solution
* python programmers, i.e. the people to whom
you'd be turning to help, have a reputation,
as a group, to be better than average
programmers in the very sense you mean.