[sf-lug] will increasing RAM increase power draw during suspend-to-RAM?

Mark K. Zanfardino mzanfardino at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 10:02:36 PDT 2008

John,

This is a very good question and it brought to mind the fact that my
laptop does not maintain it's battery life nearly as long as it had
prior to my adding an addition 1GB SODIMM to the existing 512MB base RAM
installed.  Prior to the expansion I could safely leave my laptop in
sleep mode for nearly 24 hours; now it doesn't last 12.  I haven't run
any conclusive tests to see how long it will last, but clearly there has
been a dramatic decrease.

NOTE: I wasn't looking at the RAM initial for this decrease as I've made
a number of changes including installing a larger HD (moved from a 40GB
4400rpm drive to a 120GB 5400rpm drive) and installing a newer release
of Kubuntu (I was running 7.04 and am now running 8.04.1).  It seems
unlikely that the drive would be the issue, as it should be parked while
sleeping.  The OS might be an issue, I guess, but I can't be sure.
However it seems the RAM the likely suspect.

I'd be interested in reading any other's thoughts on this issue.

Mark