[sf-lug] Other locations

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 17:46:45 PDT 2008

hi

2008/9/3 Blake Haggerty <Blake.Haggerty at sapphire.com>

> My general opinion is that St. Anthonys is not in the greatest neighborhood
> (arguably the worst neighborhood in the city).

It's true that St. Anthony is in a bad part of town.  That's the point.
Being of service.  Doing outreach.  Lawyers are not interested in adopting
Linux.  Low income people _are_ interested in adopting Linux.

IMHO, we need to think about what we as a group stand for.  Are we

1) a social club?
2) installfest hosts?
3) tech support for newbies?

And the other question is

1) do we want to grow and expand as a group?
2) or are we happy staying as a smaller social club for a few people to hang
out and chat at cafes?

I personally am in favor of expanding SF-LUG beyond the social club that we
have been so far.  We do have a few newbies drop in here and there, but now
with St. Anthony we have the opportunity to do much more.  We have a chance
to integrate ourselves and Linux into one of the most well-funded, well-run
charities in San Francisco.  I think that is a tremendous opportunity for
us.

I understand and respect those who want to keep SF-LUG as a mostly social
gathering group of people of relatively equal skill level who like to get
together and chat about Linux.  That is a valid purpose.

But I think that we could do so much more.

Just my two cents.  Okay, maybe a nickel.  heh.

c u

--
Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point