[sf-lug] DNS/BIND, etc.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 27 16:52:31 PDT 2008

I wrote:

> o  Frank is a forwarder (a copy of dproxy).
[...]

I've _tried_ to track down which namservers are just forwarders,
which do iterative service only, and which do recursive service,
on my DNS-servers bestiary page:

"DNS Servers" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Network_Other/

It's been a little difficult, because the various projects' pages are
often really unclear about the limits of functionality in the server
software described, and I haven't had time to determine the answers
by directly grovelling through source code.

(Accordingly, I'm not 100% certain that dproxy, named above, is strictly
a forwarder, and I won't absolutely swear by some of the other
classifications, either.)

I've sometimes been mislead by authors' remarks about the handling of
recursive queries:  That doesn't necessarily mean the software is
_accepting_ (and processing) recursive queries.  Sometimes, it refers
only to _generating_ such queries outbound to other nameservers.  Even
Linux's libc-based resolver library (DNS client piece) can _create_
recursive queries.  The point, though, is that it doesn't aspire to
answer them.