[sf-lug] Teaching middle school students to love FOSS technology

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 11:59:12 PDT 2008

hi,

A new school year has started, and there are Saturday school classes
occurring about once every three weeks or so.  If you would like to help
teach a kid to love Free Open Source Software technology, this is a great
chance for you.

I am kind of stretched with regard to my volunteer work for this school, and
so if I don't get a volunteer here, we probably won't have any FOSS-related
Saturday school classes, which would not be a horrible thing, because we do
have a FOSS computer lab with 31 seats.

One possible class would be to teach kids the basics of computer repair.  We
have plenty of old boxes that the kids could get into.  James Burgett of
ACCRC.org has donated several screw drivers to our school, and so there
would be no need to provide the kids with any equipment at all, and of
course the space is all set up.  If we could teach the kids how to do some
basic computer repair, then we could get the old boxes that we have in our
closet out into circulation for kids to use at home.

Thanks either way for consideration of my request!

--
Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point