[sf-lug] cups under Ubuntu

Lorin Scraba lorin at si-bemol.ro
Mon Aug 25 14:41:06 PDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 9:55 PM, Alex Kleider <a_kleider at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Although I've got things going now, while trying to re-configure printing
> on a lap top that is now going to be living in a new place with a
> different printer than before, I found that the http://localhost:631interface seemed to accept all my wishes and obligingly printed a test page
> BUT: non of these settings seemed to have taken effect and I had to use
> the Ubuntu GUI interface.
>

> http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/10/13/enabling-cupsys-web-admin-interface/
>
> the above link has a discussion but much of what's there is not consistent
> with what I experienced and none of it claims to be authoritative. Does
> anyone know of a reference that explains exactly what Ubuntu has done
> and how come it's possible to configure cups and still not have the
> configurations take effect? (Yes, I did sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart)
>
> alex
> ps what I'd really like to do is learn how to do all this from the command
> line!

Hi!
I'm a command line junkie but at least for cups I rather use the web
interface for configuring printers. That being said all cups configs are in
/etc/cups/ .
You are probably interested in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf which controls the
pretty web interface and how your cups communicates with our cups-es in the
same LAN*.
The actual printer configuration file is /etc/cups/printers.conf. Cmd line
in this case means vim-ing around this files and restarting cups service
after each change.

For your particular case , IIRC printers.conf is also maintained by a
component in your window manager of choice. What happens is - you go to the
web interface, make a change (printers.conf gets updated)  and then the
printer manager software there discovers that the configuration was updated
without it's knowledge and reverts it. I used the "chattr +i" hammer in the
past to break
this. I'm sure there are more elegant solutions.

---
* fedora 7 - cups comes with the default 'announce my printer on the
network'  and 'trust everyone' options enabled and I had a magical printing
cluster formed out of ~40 workstations. Funny :)