[sf-lug] looking for a domain name service provider

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 21 09:52:25 PDT 2008

Quoting toya (toya at linefeed.org):

> For DNS I use
> everydns.net, It is a project created by the same guy who owns
> opendns.com.

If you have a static IP address, why don't you do your own authoritative
DNS?  (My practice is to do secondary DNS for friends, and they do the
same for me.  So, for example....

:r! dig -t ns linuxmafia.com +short

ns.tx.primate.net.
ns.primate.net.
ns1.thecoop.net.
ns1.linuxmafia.com.
ns2.linuxmafia.com.

I have five nameservers (one of them mine) spread out around the West
Coast doing authoritative DNS for my domain, and none of us who are
doing it have to pay each other.

For an excellent, easy, open-source authoritative DNS nameserver
program, look no further than NSD.  For an excellent recursive-resolver
nameserver (e.g., for a SOHO network), look no further than Unbound or
PowerDNS Recursor.

And, if anyone needs to run both types of nameservice on a single IP,
for heaven's sake try MaraDNS rather than rushing to BIND9.

More at:  "DNS Servers" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Network_Other/