[sf-lug] Other random bits from yesterday's SF-LUG meeting

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 19 06:20:41 PDT 2008

Other random bits from yesterday's SF-LUG meeting:

(If I recall the package name correctly):
# aptitude install hpoj
Likely the next step needed to get a Hewlett-Packard Model 710
(OfficeJet, or something like that) series printer/scanner to work with
[x]sane via the parallel port connection.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/hpoj

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Not sure how/where to ask, or folks complaining that you're not asking
"correctly" or in the right place ... or perhaps one may have even been
referred to it?  In any case, the item noted above is a very good
reference on where and how to ask, at least regarding Linux/Unix
technical support questions (and probably a fair bit more).  And if one
doesn't have or recall the URL, if one can remember the title, it's
quite easy enough to find (e.g. via Google).

Books, and other swag from LinuxWorld:
come to BALUG http://www.balug.org/ today
or BUUG http://www.buug.org/ Thursday
or the next SF-LUG meeting
and there will almost certainly be some such stuff available (although,
in the case of SF-LUG, the books may already have been spoken for by
persons interested in specific titles, but one would probably at least
get a chance to peek at the book and find out why folks are interested
in it; Jim Stockford would have the authoritiative word for SF-LUG).

Didn't meet the list posting criteria*, but ... if one was at the
meeting, I mentioned and handed out some information on
Linux(/Unix) job openings (in group where I work!), including
my work (for more information) contact info.:
1-415-344-7609; apply rot13 to: zvpunry.cnbyv at onolpragre.pbz
http://www.babycenter.com/about-jobindex-engineering#sysAdmin
If you were at the meeting, rot13 wasn't used on the hardcopy,
but rot13 discussion did come up a bit :-)
*don't have any official publicly quotable salary amount or range