[sf-lug] Is the Farallon EtherMac PC Card GNU/Linux compatible?

Jason Turner jturner at nonzerosums.org
Mon Aug 4 12:01:05 PDT 2008

Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>     I have been trying to set this PNP595a up on my Dell Inspiron 4000
> dual-boot laptop for some time and have done numerous searches thru
> Google trying to determine whether or not it can be made to work.
>
>     If someone supplies a determination either way it will be useful
> but if it is compatible then which chip set driver can I use with it?

Zero personal experience with Farallon hardware on Linux, but
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS has this on its
supported list -- asterisk emphasis is my own,

Ethernet cards:

	[3c589_cs driver] [x86,ppc]
	3Com 3c589, 3c589B, 3c589C, 3c589D
	3Com Megahertz 3CXE589D, 3CXE589EC, 3CCE589ET, 3CCE589EC
	* Farallon EtherWave, EtherMac *
	Hitachi HT-4840-13
	[...]

 So, if you haven't already, you might try the 3c589_cs driver.  Backing
up just a bit, I suspect that there might be interesting data in your
logs around hardware detection/setup.  You might want to share pertinent
sections of "lspci" and "dmesg" with the list.

Perhaps someone else has direct experience with any twists/turns in the
use of that driver( a search reveals some issues people had with it two
years ago...).

Good luck Bobbie.

--
jt