[sf-lug] what "consistency", not near the user - we don't got no consistency!

Paul Ward dssstrkl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 11:11:27 PDT 2008

I think the problem is there's no consistency for people used to the
Windows or OS X experience. In theory, Windows is Windows and OS X is
OS X, but Ubuntu is not Fedora. Its great that the underpinnings of
Linux are extremely consistent with *nix systems, but most people
don't see that. The big reason why I bought a Mac in 2002 was because
OS X 10.2 on a powerbook was just that much of a better experience
than I was having with either Linux or Windows on a series of PC
laptops, plus it had the unix-y stuff that I had come to love!

What I'm trying to say is that for people who want to try linux, but
are in between the levels of propellerhead and techtard, a lot of that
low-level consistency has to make its way to the high level GUIs. It
does require some cooperation between distros, but things like rpms
not working on non-Red Hat distros can really burn someone (that's
just an example).

On Jul 30, 2008, at 10:46 AM, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Bruce Coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):
>
>> Yeah, right! Why do the xfree86 commands not work anymore?
>
> To reiterate what I said -- and what you were professing to disagree
> with:
> Standard X11 copy-and-paste works exactly the same, regardless of
> window
> manager and "desktop" (if any) systems.  (You might have a broken X
> server setup; your post was a bit vague.)
>
> In short, I notice that none of your post appears to have anything
> to do
> with what *I* said.  Nothing wrong with that:  Please fire away with
> any
> changes of subject the Muse dictates, but please don't pretend you
> were
> refuting my (above-reiterated) plain statement of fact -- when you've
> actually started talking about something else entirely.
>
> (I can't actually tell what you're talking about, to be honest, but it
> sure as heck wasn't what I addressed.)

Paul Ward
dssstrkl at gmail.com