[sf-lug] sf-lug.net

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 28 12:14:33 PDT 2008

Quoting ron wellman (wellmanron at gmail.com):

> have you determined the cost of reclaiming sf-lug.net? I might be willing to
> supply the cash to do so. I do understand that you are the primary source of
> free cash for sflug.

Just to help out:  _If_ Net$ol permits erstwhile owners of recently
expired domains to renew them during the "pending deletion" period, then
Jim can probably determine the answer to your question by following
these Net$ol instructions:

http://customersupport.networksolutions.com/article.php?id=152

(Basically, go to http://www.networksolutions.com/, pick Account Manager
in the navbar, login using Jim's customer account username/password,
select the domain, select "renew", decline the inevitable Net$ol upsell
attempt, and jot down the prices offered for various years' worth of
renewal.)

I note:

   Only Account Holders/Primary Contacts and Account Administrative
   Contacts on the account can purchase or renew services for the domain
   name.

I mentioned earlier that many registrars have this restriction.  Some
others (e.g., joker.com) permit _anyone_ to lob money at them to renew
domains registered through them.

(Disclaimer:  I haven't been a Network Solutions customer since the
mid-1990s.)

If Net$ol does _not_ permit customers to renew expired domains within
the "pending deletion" period, then you get to experience the ineffable
joy of attempting to acquire a domain at auction:
http://www.networksolutions.com/domain-name-registration/pending.jsp