[sf-lug] Fwd: New flash technology promises millions of writes, centuries of use]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 22 01:19:45 PDT 2008

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss at california.com):

> 	I mentioned this to several people at the meeting and
> since no one had heard of this technology I thought the list
> might be either aware or interested.

The improvement in write-cycle limits is good, but it's not at all clear
that engineering limits thus far characteristic of the discussed
Ferroelectric RAM technology can ever be overcome:  very low memory
density compared to NAND flash RAM (what's currently used in commodity
flash memory), and high manufacturing cost.  We'll have to see what
happens when/if the commercial potential gets explored.

Low memory density is a particular problem, and has confined other
technology to niches before, e.g., static RAM.