[sf-lug] Anyone using Asterisk with VoIP on Linux?

Nathan Hoover nathan at foo-o-rama.com
Thu Jul 10 14:19:43 PDT 2008

I have some experience testing and experimenting with Asterisk, and I find
it works very well. The only aspect that has ever given me intractable
trouble is having the Asterisk box behind a firewall with NAT. For a new
user, I recommend trying Trixbox or AsteriskNOW, they are CD images you can
download that include a Linux installer (I think they're both CentOS if I
remember right), complete with Asterisk and various accessory programs
preinstalled.

You can indeed mix and match the phones to your preferences. I have had
success using Asterisk with Polycom IP301, 501, and Cisco 7940G phones. (in
fact I have a spare IP301 I was just about to ebay, if your friend is
looking for hardware).

Feel free to email me if you have any further questions, I'd be glad to be
of whatever help I can be.

Regards,
Nathan