[sf-lug] Nagios on CentOS (perl-Net-SNMP vs. perl-net-snmp)

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 14:30:15 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Bill Teeple <bill at teeple.tv> wrote:
> CPAN is nice, but a pre-compiled RPM is nicer.  CPAN is for those
> console jockies who enjoy compiling the code from hand - I find it to
> be a bit intimidating to use (just my opinion - don't flame me).

The problem is that you have to do this every time the Perl module is
updated.  Additionally, you may not get the version with the feature
you want!  Most Perl modules are not in the repositories, making it
useless to depend on it.  And making a package with dh is cool, so
maybe I should do it in the future.  However, that still means you
have to update the module yourself, which is just as much a pain as
using CPAN as a "console jockie".  Yes, I am a console jockie and I
like watching scrolling texts :-P  I ran Gentoo for a very long time.
I get my fix when using CPAN, now that I am back to
Debian/Ubuntu....hehe
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen