[sf-lug] ANNOUNCE: TOMORROW Sat June 7 INSTALLFEST TALKS POTLUCK, Berkeley 12N-6P

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Fri Jun 6 05:22:48 PDT 2008

YOU are INVITED to the 1st
Berkeley BSD GNU/Linux Installfest, Talks, & Potluck.
This is a FREE friendly, pleasant, fun, educational & productive event.

LOCATION:       EVANS HALL, or nearby, U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
ROOM:           Room 5 Evans Hall: Either we will meet in this room,
		or see directions posted there to the meeting location.
	(This is the building where UNIX was developed at Berkeley.)
TIME:           12 Noon to 6 PM - come & leave as you like.
                Saturday June 7th

This is the first meeting of what is planned to be a MONTHLY 1st
Saturday or Sunday event. (Next month's meeting: July 5 or 6)

There are 3 PARALLEL TRACKS of events:

1) INSTALLFEST  Bring your computer & install BSD or GNU/Linux software.
2) TALKS        Talks by various speakers
3) POTLUCK      (Optional) Bring $4 of food to share: eat, conversation

This meeting is being coordinated through the
Berkeley Unix User Group buug.org mailing list:
http://www.weak.org/pipermail/buug/2008-June/thread.html

===== DETAILS: ============================================

=== INSTALLFEST:  Bring your computer & install BSD or GNU/Linux
software.

This is a self reliant event. Bring everything you need. Computer,
monitor, keyboard,  mouse, laptop, power cord, MULTI OUTLET POWER
EXTENSION CORD, network cord, network hub or router, WIFI,
install software CD (people will likely have some installation CD's,
but don't count on them having the one you want).

For this first meeting, we _might_ NOT have any NETWORKING except
through individuals CELL PHONE service.

Please help clean up when through. Thank you.

=== TALKS:      Eventually we hope to have 2-6 speakers.
For this meeting, we have no planned talks.  Instead, we have the
following time slots reserved specifically for OPEN DISCUSSION about
these TOPICS:

12N     DISTRIBUTIONS - BSD's, Ubuntu Debian RH Suse etc
1P      PROGRAMMING/DATABASES - Python, PERL, PHP, TCL, C/C++, Ruby,
	LISP, FORTRAN, COBOL, MSQL, etc.
2P      VIDEOCONFERENCE testing; NETWORKING
3P      BAD - Bay Area Debian MEETING. http://bad.debian.net
4P      GUIs - KDE, GNOME.
	USER APPLICATIONS - Word Proc, Web Browser, Video, Audio
5P      ORGANIZING future meetings,
	  HOWTO: ETHICAL SPAMMING - ie how to announce to LUGs, etc.

Note: Meeting Talks are ATTENDEE idea generated.
 Want to HEAR a talk: POST a request for speaker to the list.
 Know a SPEAKER: POST to the list.
Speakers are CONFIRMED by an attendee guaranteeing to ATTEND that talk,
POSTING that to the list, and HANDLING ARRANGEMENTS with the speaker.

---VIDEOCONFERENCE: Hopefully, this will become a WORLD WIDE
SIMULTANEOUS event.  We hope to LIVE VIDEO STREAM talks to other
participating groups.

At this meeting we might setup an IRC channel, BITP, (perhaps on
freenode?). We might try to set up an audio or video streaming test.

JULY tentative planned talk topic: BACKUPS

See MORE TALK IDEAS BELOW, and post to the buug mail list if there is a
talk you would like to HEAR or PRESENT.

=== POTLUCK:    (Optional) If you want to: BRING $4 OF FOOD TO SHARE.
Eat. Enjoy conversation with other attendees.

Note: The food is only brought by attendees, there is no entity paying
for the food, except each attendee pays for whatever they bring. So,
obviously, be respectful of others and don't eat more than the value of
what you yourself brought.

You can BRING: MAIN COURSE, VEGETABLES, FRUIT, SALAD, DESERT, DRINK (no
alcohol, please), SNACKS. It might be helpful for the first several
meetings if people brought something from MORE THAN ONE CATEGORY of
item. That way there will be more variety. It's great to get something
ON SALE from the grocery store.

Of course, you DON'T HAVE TO BRING anything, or $4 worth of items.  But,
please be considerate of others, and don't eat more than the value of
what you brought. Thank you.

Please help clean up when through. Thank you.

===== =====

=== Please RSVP %

If you think you _might_ come to the ITP,
please send an RSVP % message to the buug.org mailing list
http://www.weak.org/mailman/listinfo/buug
stating your best current estimate
of the probability you'd attend on Saturday Jun 7,
using probability of 25 50 75 or 100 %,
& PUT your % # IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE MESSAGE. Thank you.

(Equation between probability % and english language concepts:
25  = small possibility
50  = maybe
75  = more likely than not
100 = definitely )

This will help us as a guide to planning. Thank you.

Note: It is NOT NECESSARY to RSVP %, but would be helpful to us. If you
aren't able to or didn't send an RSVP % message, please DO ATTEND.

Here is a good subject line to use for your RSVP %:
June 7 ITP RSVP %=##

=== DIRECTIONS:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=&daddr=37.873592,-122.257807&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=37.873625,-122.257807&sspn=0.008825,0.012703&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

CAR:    580/80 Eastshore Freeway to Berkeley, University Ave. exit,
	up University to UCB.
BART:   Berkeley Downtown exit.
	Walk or Campus bus to Hearst Mining Circle.

On Saturday there might be some on campus parking, but there is off
campus street parking, and a big pay parking lot at the corner of Hearst
& Gayley, at the Northeast corner of campus. You can drive to Evans Hall
to unload something from your car.

Evans Hall is at B5 in this map:
http://www.berkeley.edu/map/maps/large_map.html

=== CARPOOLING: A GREAT IDEA!
Post a request or announcement to the list.

Here are handy email subject lines:
CARPOOLING Ride WANTED from xyz Sat June 7
CARPOOLING Ride OFFERRED from xyz Sat June 7

=== MORE TALK IDEAS:
For the 1st meeting some talk possibilities are:
0) ETHICAL SPAMMING - Howto send announcement emails automatically
     to many group email lists. - Do you know how to do this?
     CAN YOU GIVE AN INFORMAL HOWTO TALK ABOUT THIS at the JUNE MEETING?
1) Difference between Ubuntu8.4 & Debian
2) OLPC - Sugar OS project
3) Google Summer of Code - how you can help
4) PGP & personal keysigning
5) Mozilla 3 - the beta's features & how to help
  - the "show me the code" session?
6) Python08 conference highlights
7) LinuxPicnic (in SiValley) preparations/planning/how to help
8) LinuxWorld Expo San Francisco group booths

What other topics are HOT now & would be good to have talks on?
What would YOU like to HEAR a talk on?
Would YOU like to GIVE a talk? What SUBJECT?

=== FEEL FREE TO SEND THIS ANNOUNCEMENT TO ANY RELEVANT LISTS/PEOPLE.

Thank you.  I hope to see you there. :)

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - I mean, what is it about a decent email service?