[sf-lug] Ubuntu Guest: Wubi vs. VM

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 21:01:29 PDT 2008

Because of the way wubi works, I would just leave the setup as you have it
now.  I have not seen any performance improvement using wubi over a VM in
VB.  You take a small disk access penalty with Wubi, but you will be
modifying your windows boot loader (which is not a big deal.)  At the same
time, by going the VM route, you don't have the modification of the boot
loader, and it is much easier to move your VM if you need to swap out
machines.  While I do like wubi and everything that it does for windows
users, I still think it is much easier and more flexible to use VB.

That's my $0.02

Ernest

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Jim Cortez <jim at jimcortez.com> wrote:

> Due to several requirements at the place that I work (proprietary vpn,
> proprietary hard drive encryption, etc.) I must keep Windows installed on
> the
> entire drive. Currently I am getting around this restriction by running a
> virtualbox VM. Would there be any significant advantages/disadvantages to
> using wubi instead? I have never used Wubi before, is it usable? Laptop
> specs
> below.
> Thanks,
> Jim Cortez