[sf-lug] OT: Digital Storytelling

Lx Rudis lx_rudis at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 2 20:32:47 PDT 2008

--- jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

> what means "Digital Storytelling?"

my bonehead kneejerk reply would be:  the use of
'appropriate' digital technology to support the verbal
tradition of storytelling.

here's a site, pointing you right at a story:
http://www.storycenter.org/stories/

here's another one.
it documents my cat, Boots, with a 'sung story':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR4K2KN8MRI

it's often done in person, not just on the web.

imvho the 'best of the best' are people who are
technomads, who are comfortable using Powerpoint or
other presentation systems in concert with
videoprojection to create what i'd call 'illuminated'
works, usually fact-based but sometimes fictional or
mythic.  in these cases, the video projection and
associated audio can be considered an 'actor', and the
storyteller a 'narrator'.

some vlog, travel about via RV, participate in the
Wal-Mart 24/7 culture that's grown up around the RV
hookup systems - that's where i first heard of this,
btw.
others vlog and document their lives in places like
public housing projects.

...from what little i know of 'Digital Tipping Point',
elements of it could easily be considered Digital
Storytelling.

this is a bit OT, i suppose...i'm attending the event,
btw.