[sf-lug] VPS question: accessible by root user on physical host?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jun 1 20:34:06 PDT 2008

Quoting Jason Turner (jturner at nonzerosums.org):

> Another good reminder of the lack of 100% certainty in our world,
> rather, just differing levels of probability.  And the methods used to
> deal with that fact in the world of security fall around the concept of
> risk management.

I couldn't have said it better.

One of the hazards of this field (computer/network security) is that it
requires broad knowledge, a finely honed sense of perspective, and
strong skepticism in the face of vendor and security-industry interests
treating customers evincing accurate knowledge and perspective as
threats to their business models.  (It also doesn't help that the frame
of mind for security thinking is rare, and that so many computer geeks
are obsessive gadget freaks who vaguely recall having heard of the
concept of "perspective" but are no longer sure they'd recognise it on
sight.)