[sf-lug] VPS question: accessible by root user on physical host?

Joe Royall joe at 2resonate.net
Sun Jun 1 10:49:32 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 2:58 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Joe Royall (joe at 2resonate.net):
>
> > Access to your data on a vps is trivial.
>
> You appear to have ignored what I said.

No I didn't.  They always have root access to the "host" Your "guest" os
could have a different password.  The "host" will share the partition with
the "guest".  On a vps you own the guest the provider owns the host.  If it
is xen you have a config file in your /etc/xen like

disk   = ['phy:volume00/guest1,sda1,w']

You can snapshot it from the "host"

lvcreate -s -n copy_of_guest1 -L 1G /dev/volume00/guest1

it works the same way on openVZ and KVM

Also, this is only one way.  They could also boot your OS to run level 1 and
get access to it.  If they are running openVZ they can see all of your
processes from the "host" and can see all of your memory too.

> or your convenience, here it is again:
>
>  Linode, Inc. doesn't have shell of any sort on your virthost.  Their
>  getting it or equivalent wouldn't be difficult but would commit various
>  business torts and also ruinous to their reputation if it were ever
>  proved.

Joe Royall
Red Hat Certified Architect
415-684-5402