[sf-lug] WAY OT: Car Stereo Analog Electronics

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Tue May 27 19:29:43 PDT 2008

Hey man, join our hardware and software hacking group at
noisebridge.net :-). Also, I bet mitch altman would have some great
input.  Join the list and send this same message.  You can even go to
the next meeting for some pointers...

On 5/27/08, Matt Price <matt.price at utoronto.ca> wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> well, this is the DIY group i know best...  I'm getting ready for a big
> road trip (all the way back to toronto) and I'm trying to hook my ipod
> up to my car stereo.  unfortunately i have a stock honda civic stereo
> head unit, which doesn't have an aux in anywhere.  instead htere's a
> proprietary DIN-style connector that goes from the head unit (which has
> a radio ) and the external cassette player (mounted separately in a
> different spot on the dash).
>
> there's a pin diagram for this connector here (well, at least i think
> it's the right diagram):
> http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/sound_system.htm
> this instructables suggests it's the same as the honda stereos:
> http://www.instructables.com/id/SOU74LJF9056P3L/
>
> my plan is to take out the  cassette player (not hard, i've done it
> before), and somehow splice an audio out cable into the din connector.
> as far as i understand it, all i need to do is connect the signal
> ground, left and right wires to the appropriate pins, and the thing
> SHOULD get sound from the ipod (or any aux connector).  i see two ways
> to do this:
>
> 1) just take an old headphone wire, open it up, and run the individual
> wires into the appropriate din pin openings.  but this is too simple.
>
> 2) find an 8-pin din connector, solder the wires from the headphone jack
> into it, but also maybe somehow use the other wires to do other things.
> for instance, i'd love to get usb power off of the battery; i'd love to
> be able to somehow control the ipod using the accessory; etc.  i dont
> know how ocmplicated all of these are.  also all my soldering tools and
> stuff are back home in toronto.  and finally, i don't know where to buy
> stuff like this here in sf.
>
> sooo...  i'm hoping there's someone out there who knows all this stuff!
> or who knows where to point me for more info.  i'd lvoe for this to
> work, it's gonna be a looooong car ride...  thanks!
>
> matt
>

> --
> Matt Price
> matt.price at utoronto.ca

Kristian Erik Hermansen
--
"When you share your joys you double them; when you share your sorrows
you halve them."