[sf-lug] Kwrite to Windows

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 22:25:04 PDT 2008

--- "Truth E. Ness" <truth.e.ness at gmail.com> wrote:

> For some reason, when I send text files on an email attachment, no
> one seems
> to be able to read them.   I need to send them to officemax for
> printing.....any idea why they and others using windows can't read
> them, or
> what I can do to fix this?  I can't print them from home because my
> printer
> is down....I'm of course a newbie....help....

Your problem probably stems from the fact that unix text file lines end
in I believe it is the LineFeed character while DOS's lines end in both
a LineFeed and a Carriage Return. You can convert unix text files into
dos text files by passing them through a filter unix2dos (or going the
other way: dos2unix.) You may first have to install tofrodos which
undoubtedly will be in your distro's repository:
sudo apt-get install tofrodos
on my system does it.
after you've done that, from the terminal run
man unix2dos to be sure but I think
unix2dos foo
will change foo from being a unix text file to being a dos text file.
Others will jump in quickly if I'm wrong but I'm posting on the
assumption that you want an answer sooner rather than later and your
post has been there all day without an answer: others must all be out
enjoying the w/e.

alex

a_kleider at yahoo.com