[sf-lug] Linux and X10 for home automation

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Wed May 14 08:16:01 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 13 May 2008 22:37:52 Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> Also check out "mister house" open source project :-)
>
> On 5/13/08, Thomas DiZoglio <tomdiz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > X10 Home Automation protocol has a lot of cool devices
> > that connect to your PC (Win/Linux). You can use
> > scripts and cron to control anything in your home.
> > Here are some cool links or just search on google
> > "Linux X10".
> >
> > http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1057595.html
> > http://hackyourworld.com/?p=9
I agree that X10 can be and educational and useful pursuit for children (or
anyone).
There's a local store that has a good assortment of X10 gear and knowledgeable
staff. They even have wall sections that are open showing various cabling
methods and demonstrating "smart house" technologies and networking.
They are:
Hometech Solutions
www.hometech.com

10600 S De Anza Blvd
Cupertino, CA 95014
(408) 257-7152
I have no commercial affiliation with them.
I know you are a San Francisco group and recognize that this store is about 35
miles away but it may be of use; and they have a good web site.

Mark