[sf-lug] ATI Radeon X1200 Series, Ubuntu and Ted

ted x351912 at gmail.com
Sun May 11 19:46:28 PDT 2008

> the list has some other suggestions), I'd probably recommend getting on
> an ATI-specific forum/mailing list and seeing if they can help you out

Sweet, I did this.

I found myself here:

I believe the driver is working, and when I get to (Under method one,
just before Post-Installation Tweaks:

typing fglrxinfo in the terminal it returns:

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.3-rc2)

So I follow the Removing Mesa Drivers instructions:

But alas, I do not have xserver-xgl installed.

So, I try to change my appearances to "extra" and I get a white screen
of death!  my mouse works but nothing else does.  I drop to a tty, and
see some compiz stuff running:

I kill all of it and the white screen (maybe gray now that I saw it
again) is gone, and this email has returned.

So I am left with these questions.

How do I confirm that the correct driver is actually running?

How do I get compiz to not give me the white(gray) screen of death (well
not really death more like a white screen of inconvenience since I don't
have to reboot or nuthin)?