[sf-lug] Need help with an Linux assignment script

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Apr 28 22:08:43 PDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Timothy Wang wrote:
>
>> I am doing an assignment in City College CS160b and was having
>> difficulty understanding why it is not working. The assignment is posted
>> on
>>
>> http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~gboyd/
>>
>> under cs 160b asmt02
>
> Interesting.  Can you give the exact error message you get that makes you
> say it fails?

Also - do you know about using "bash -x" to show a trace of your shell
script's execution?  Just change the shebang (the first line with
hash-bang #! in it) to "#!/bin/bash -x" instead of "#!/bin/bash".

I find that helps me a lot when I'm trying to debug shell scripts.

-- Asheesh.

--
Of all the animals, the boy is the most unmanageable.
 		-- Plato