[sf-lug] Ubuntu release ("back on-list" sub thread)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 28 00:20:23 PDT 2008

Quoting Kristian Erik Hermansen (kristian.hermansen at gmail.com):

> If Rick chimes in, he really means to spread some knowledge.

What I'm generally trying to achieve is _clarity_.  I've heard that some
people mistakenly think I'm metaphorically squeezing them by the neck
trying to force others to agree with my viewpoint.  (That seems a bizarre
inference to me, but despite my strong suspicion they either have
self-esteem problems, or are attempting passive-aggression, or both, I'm
relaying what I've heard claimed.)  To the contrary; I'm just trying to
make sure what has been asserted on relevant issues and facts is clear.
What people then choose to believe is entirely their own problem.

> And you can tell when he is passionate.

In this case, what really gets my goat is people like hypothetical
poster Bob getting screwed over, and then people who caused their
mishaps -- the resident advocates of header munging -- doing nothing but
stare blankly into the middle distance and, if pressed, disclaim
responsibility.

I'd also really love to believe in progress, and someone attempting --
with no overt sense of irony -- to resurrect a dumb idea staked through
the heart by official RFC revisions seven years ago, is the sort of
thing that can inspire despair.