[sf-lug] Canonical Commercial Repo - VMware?

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 00:19:53 PDT 2008

2008/4/28 Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com>:
> Does anyone that works intimately with the Ubuntu project know if VMware
> Server 1.x or 2.x beta will be added to the canonical commercial repo for
> 8.04?  I think it was in the repo for 7.04 but not 7.10 for some reason.  I
> have been using virtualbox but it does not like my freebsd vm nor will it
> even load an opensolaris vm.  I do know that someone mentioned (at LUGRADIO)
> that opensolaris was not yet supported with virtualbox, so I would rather
> build the vm in vmware.  I don't want to have to rebuild the kernel modules
> every time the kernel is upgraded though.  Perhaps Tom has some inside info
> on this?

The "commercial" repository was renamed to "partner" in recent
releases.  I don't know why VMware is not in there any longer, but for
Hardy all I see is Opera :-(  Personally, I moved away from VMware to
VirtualBox out of spite of having to enter a license key and also
because the VMware package includes modules for like every damn
version of Linux ever created and has become bloated beyond

Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Clever ones don't want the future told. They make it."