[sf-lug] Ubuntu release ("back on-list" sub thread)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 27 22:37:51 PDT 2008

Quoting jim (jim at well.com):

>    sometimes discussions get a bit frothy,
> possibly too frothy. please be mindful that
> many reading our threads are hoping to harvest
> useful information and may be put off by
> heated remarks.

_That_ wasn't a particularly heated remark, but you might consider this
one to be:  When Ernest raised the inevitable dumb idea of munging, your
comment was "i'm not sure it's a good idea, ultimately, but worth
inspection."  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that the "I'm not
sure it's a good idea" bit indicated that you already _knew_ it was a
terrible idea, but hoped to duck the bullet on having to explain why,
letting me take that hit instead and be obliged to waste _my_ time
dealing with the subject.

It would be nice if you wouldn't do that.

Overall, I should probably just adopt Marc Merlin's practice (seen on
lists.svlug.org) of setting up a nightly crontab script to check all
Mailman lists and remove any munging instituted by listadmins suffering
lapses of judgement.  The neat thing about that:  No need to argue and
explain.  Things get rectified automatically without waste.