[sf-lug] Ubuntu vs. Mandriva

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 27 17:35:51 PDT 2008

Quoting Ernest De Leon (edeleonjr at gmail.com):

> Touche the NPL did put a lot of restrictions on modifications of any
> kind to the original code base.

Er, no.

Did you ever _read_ the Netscape Public Licence -- or were you just
assuming that nobody else did and would know the difference?

> No, slackware isn't dead, it just adds to my argument that users
> should be spread among products to foster competition and innovation,
> not amassed into one (or few) products, thus stifling competition and
> innovation.

You seem to have a lot of quaint attitudes carried forward unchanged
from the proprietary software world.  I'd suggest you work on that.

Innovation in the Linux distributions fields has turned out, over the
decades, to have vanishingly little to do with size of user base.