[sf-lug] Ubuntu vs. Mandriva

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sat Apr 26 20:24:27 PDT 2008

Paul Ward wrote:
> I'm not all that concerned with the ease of use issue, since I'm
> planning to build a headless server to act as a mailserver, firewall,
> NAS and maybe a MythTV backend. I'll use the macs to ssh into it, so
> I'm not really thinking about the desktop manager (I like KDE, but
> might give gnome a try), and it would probably be fun to set up vnc
> and do a full remote desktop. I'm aware that any distro can do what I
> want, I guess I just wanted to know if there were any real differences
> between a current champ and an old friend.
> Paul Ward
> Sent from my iPhone
I use Ubuntu server 6.06 (LTS - Long Term Support) on my servers. I get
the advantages of apt-get and the repositories are supported until 2011.
I haven't tried Ubuntu 8.04 LTS as yet. I understand that direct
migration from 6.06 to 8.04 (one LTS to another) was a significant
consideration when designing upgrade paths. At least that's what I saw
in presentations at Ubuntu Live last year. Maybe others on the list can

Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132 USA