[sf-lug] modifying the screen resolution under Ubuntu

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Fri Apr 18 21:01:54 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 20:48 -0700, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am trying to change the default screen resolution on one of the
> giveaway boxes at the school.  The default is currently set for 1680 x
> 1050.  I have tried going to System > Screen resolution, but when i
> click on change screen resolution, and choose 1024 x 768, I get the
> option to accept the screen resolution, but in fact, the screen
> resolution does not change.  So I tried going
> into /etc/X11/xorg.conf , which has worked before, but this time,
> there was no entry for the screen resolution.  I am copying my
> xorg.conf file to this email, in the hopes that someone will be able
> to tell me what I am doing wrong, because this screen resolution is
> just way too small.

As always before making any changes to Xorg stuff, make sure you backup
your current config so if you hose things too badly, you can at least
get back to where you were before. Something like:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.`date +%Y-%m-%d`.bkup

I would then try:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

This will kick off a reconfiguration of the X server which should give
you the chance to set things manually. If it's too "automated" and
doesn't give you any options, remove the "-phigh" (means priority =
high, i.e. only prompt me for stuff that's really necessary, but just
make assumptions about the other stuff).

Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

I notice you're using the "nv" driver - this is the open source driver
for Nvidia graphics card chipsets. Another option available to you, at
the risk of promoting a non-open source idea, have you tried using the
"nvidia" driver? It's Nvidia's proprietary graphics card driver and
should have a lot of configuration options (changing screen resolution
being the easiest of them. To install this use Ubuntu's Restricted
Drivers Manager/Hardware Drivers Manager from the System ->
Administration menu. It should give you an option to install the Nvidia
stuff. Let me know if not, and if you'd like to go down this road
separately. Note that you'll need this if the computer is going to be
used for any kind of 3D graphics work (rendering, and games, mostly).

Cheers, Tom