[sf-lug] Hayes Valley Mystery

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Apr 18 00:30:52 PDT 2008

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Tom Haddon wrote:

>> e2fsck -f "force[s] checking even if the file system seems clean", at
>> least (says its man page).
>
> Yeah, gives the same output:
>
> e2fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> Pass 2: Checking directory structure
> Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
> Pass 4: Checking reference counts
> Pass 5: Checking group summary information
> /dev/sda1: 39/26104 files (28.2% non-contiguous), 62530/104388 blocks

Huh, okay.

> It did this before without the -f option. And I'm able to mount it fine
> once the system's booted, which we were before as well. The real test
> is, can we uncomment the entry in /etc/fstab and have it mounted on
> boot? Will have to wait til one of of is onsite and able to deal with
> any issues that come up if it doesn't boot correctly before we can check
> this...

Well, there should be no problem with asking Linux to mount it.  There's
nothing crucial that stops working if Linux fails to.  So if you feel
comfy doing a remote reboot, then you could do that.

If not, then sure - wait until you (or we!) are local!

-- Asheesh.

--
Must be getting close to town -- we're hitting more people.