[sf-lug] Hayes Valley Mystery

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Fri Apr 18 00:27:46 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 23:56 -0700, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Tom Haddon wrote:

> >> Sounds like it worked because GRUB's ext2/ext3 driver could read it; Linux
> >> never had to, for it to boot.
> >
> > Aha, yeah, that makes sense.

> >> Well, sounds like you should fsck and then see if it mounts.
> >
> > Well it mounts fine. And an fsck produced no problems. Do you know what
> > command options would do an "exhaustive" check, as I just did fsck with
> > no options.
>
> e2fsck -f "force[s] checking even if the file system seems clean", at
> least (says its man page).

Yeah, gives the same output:

e2fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/sda1: 39/26104 files (28.2% non-contiguous), 62530/104388 blocks

It did this before without the -f option. And I'm able to mount it fine
once the system's booted, which we were before as well. The real test
is, can we uncomment the entry in /etc/fstab and have it mounted on
boot? Will have to wait til one of of is onsite and able to deal with
any issues that come up if it doesn't boot correctly before we can check
this...

Thanks, Tom