[sf-lug] Capture video from MiniDV over USB?

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 14:10:38 PDT 2008

have you tried using dvgrab from the CLI ?  My experience has been that it
just works, but I was using firewire.  On the other hand, this Ubuntu forum
seems to indicate that USB should be fine, too:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/graphics/dvgrab

I'm fairly sure that the command is

sudo dvgrab  --format raw [filename]

Don't bother adding an extension, because dvgrab will chunk it out in 1 GB
files for every 4.51 mins as a .dv file no matter what you call it. dvgrag
also very conveniently creates a numerical sequence, so that the first file
is foobar001.dv and the second is foobar002.dv.  I use the practice of
ending my file names with an underscore for that purpose, so that I will be
able to read it more clearly, i.e,

sudo dvgrab  --format raw foobar_

becomes

/home/cje/foobar_001.dv
/home/cje/foobar_002.dv

etc.

We in the DTP now automate the capture of footage using these shell scripts
written by Jonathan Grindstaff, called Jonathan's Video Glue (JVG).

http://digitaltippingpoint.com/wiki/index.php?title=From_Tape_to_Archive

Those are not the actual scripts.  I am willing to send people the actual
scripts upon request.