[sf-lug] olpc: green machine

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 13 16:59:48 PDT 2008

Quoting Alex Kleider (a_kleider at yahoo.com):

Shortly afterwards, Alex wrote:

> What I DID discover  is that /sbin is NOT in PATH.

Congrats on getting to the bottom of that.  One point to mention in
passing:

The first sentence quoted nicely illustrates why, when you're posting to
a public forum for help with a technical problem, it's really, _really_
important to post _raw symptom data_ about your problem -- and to
carefully avoid giving only your interpretations _of_ the symptoms.

The phrase "no ifconfig or iwconfig command [was] available" was your
interpretation.  The problem is that you assumed, but didn't say, that
those utilities, if present on your system, would have been in a
directory included in PATH.

What would have been raw symptom data?  You could have said:

   I've found the terminal but there is no /etc/network directory
   and no ifconfig or iwconfig command available.

   $ ifconfig
   bash: ifconfig: command not found
   $ iwconfig
   bash: iwconfig: command not found
   $ whoami
   a_kleider

Posting that would have made people realise readily that you didn't try
"/sbin/ifconfig" or "/sbin/iwconfig", and might have said "What does
'locate ifconfig' return?"