[sf-lug] Need help with VirtualBox on openSUSE and Feisty (or Gutsy)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 8 12:48:11 PDT 2008

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> It is not a binary outcome of failure versus success.  There are
> shades of performance.

I would call, in general, any significant software deployment without
requirements analysis -- but in particular one where the customer is
considering blowing everything away and installing Windows XP because of
a deal-breaker requirement never identified for lack of doing
requirements analysis -- to be functionally close to failure.  You
evidently disagree.  Good luck with that.

[snip a lot]

> AFAIK, there is no WINE solution to the Adobe Premier Pro tools that the
> school is sort of being forced to use.

What you said the _first_ time, to which Daniel responded, is:

  If we don't get XP working in a virtual machine, we will need to blow
  away Linux on these machines altogether, we will need to blow away
  Linux altogether and install XP natively, because getting Adobe
  Elements was the justification for acquiring these machines in the
  first place.

Daniel's response, in part, was:

  BTW, Elements is for photo editing, not video editing. I believe I
  have heard reports of it being used under WINE.

So, now it's _not_ Adobe Elements, but rather Adobe Premier Pro?

Just as an additional big, fat clue, it's helpful, when asking for help
online, to give the full, correct names of things, e.g., "Adobe
Premier Elements" or "Adobe Photoshop Elements" instead of just the
unusably vague term "Adobe Elements".[1]  Extra bonus clue:  Software tends
to have version numbers, which are often crucial data.  E.g., as a
hypothetical example, Adobe Premier Pro 1.5 for Windows might be
supportable on current versions of WINE but Adobe Premier Pro 2.0 for
Windows might not.

Now, perhaps you might be starting to understand why requirements
analysis (the competent kind, where you are clear about, and keep
accurate records of, what all the software titles are, and what versions
they are) is so crucial.

Or maybe not.

[1]  Here's my guess:  What you've variously described as "Adobe
Elements" and "Adobe Premiere Pro" without bothering to get the
software's name right or provide version numbers is, really, Adobe
Premiere Elements 3.x or 4.0 for Windows -- which is an entry-level,
limited version of the Adobe Premier Pro for Windows video-editing
package aimed at the home market.  The schools might or might not have
also been given freebie copies of Adobe Protoshop Elements 6.0 for
Windows, which is an  entry-level, limited version of the Adobe
Protoshop for Windows raster-image editor package aimed at the home
market.