[sf-lug] Fwd: [UMALUG] Detect displays and resolution with nvidia-settings

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 09:16:50 PDT 2008

Any ideas?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Ash <mash at econs.umass.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:07:47 -0400
Subject: [UMALUG] Detect displays and resolution with nvidia-settings
To: umasslug at ecs.umass.edu

Dear all,

I am using nvidia-settings with much success to manage two displays
with TwinView.    nvidia-settings has a nice gui to set the two
displays next to each other, above and below, cloned, etc.

One oddity is that when I plug  the cable from the external monitor
into my laptop and "Detect Displays"  the highest resolution that the
external monitor offers is 640x480.  If I need the two monitors at the
same resolution, then I have to heavily downgrade the resolution on my
laptop.  Here's the oddity:  if I boot up with the external monitor
plugged in, then it, not my laptop monitor, is active, and it achieves
a resolution of 1024x768 (or sometimes higher). I can then enable my
laptop monitor.

So why won't the external monitor offer better than 640x480 when I
connect it second?  Is there a way to force a higher resolution?

Thanks.

Best,
Michael

Kristian Erik Hermansen
--
"Clever ones don't want the future told. They make it."