[sf-lug] fun with computers

bobbie sellers bliss at california.com
Thu Mar 27 19:55:02 PDT 2008

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> Imho, mandriva is not a real distro.  I don't know how many of you
> feel the same way...

	Sorry I meant this for the list but sent it to Kristian only
by mistake.

	You are entitled to whatever opinion you may have but Mandriva
is the tool that suits me when it is working properly.  It uses the
Linux kernel and Gnu sources as applicable along with either Gnome
or KDE gui.

	I have never been satisfied with a host of other distributions
because they don't care for simple tools like KPPP which is used to
dial up ISPs on POTS.  They seem to assume wider use of DSL and faster
network connections than exist outside the well-employed.

	Mandriva is a recompilation of Red Hat Enterprise sources as
is PCOS and CentOS and a few other distros as Ubunto et al (x)buntos
are related to Debian.  By any sensible rule that excluded Mandriva
we would be left with Slackware and Gentoo I guess.  If I knew enough
about GNU/Linux to setup either of those I might do so

> On 3/27/08, bobbie sellers <bliss at california.com> wrote:
>>  	Yesterday evening I tried to update KlamAV on my Mandriva 2008
>> machine.  Well the install didn't have a compiler and some other
>> tools in the PATH so I tried to download and install such.  Somehow
>> along the way by 2100 I had managed to get the computer to a non-working
>> status.  By the time I had tried a few things I was too tired to
>> continue and left it on all night(no biggie).
>> 	This morning after a few false starts I got the thing working
>> again though the login would not recognise my password and I had to
>> start doing the install again to get a new user with an easy to type
>> password from whose account I could reconfigure login so that I didn't
>> need a password.
>> 	Now the main problem is that Mandriva refuses to see the external USB
>> drives which have never been invisible before?
>>
>> 	Any hints from the knowledgeable & skilled?
>>
>> 	And I must say I am glad to be in touch with you all again.

	I took the liberty in my reply to correct my misspelling above.

    later
    Bobbie Sellers

--
bobbie sellers - (Back to Angband) Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*

        Your tag lines (k) were stolen! (more)
            There is a puff of smoke!