[sf-lug] A Xen kind of experience

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 22 12:33:23 PDT 2008

Quoting Kristian Erik Hermansen (kristian.hermansen at gmail.com):

> I would highly recommend KVM over Xen.  The integration between the
> host and guest in Xen can cause major issues, especially when you want
> to customize your guest kernels.

Around the time Red Hat was preparing to release RHEL5, Jim Dennis and I
found a way to politely ask their technical staff "Why Xen rather than
KVM?  Especially when all the credible accounts are reporting better
technical results and there's much better mindshare among the kernel
people?"  Their answer was:  They went with what was mature and usable
at the relevant part of their development cycle.  However, they pointed
out, their virt-manager and virt-image Python wrappers were deliberately
written to be as VM-neutral as possible, so they expected that adapting
them to KVM or whatever else catches on should be really easy.

I've still not played around with KVM, myself, but reports are good
(even long before I heard your own recommendation).