[sf-lug] Save the date! April 26 is a massive tech day in the mission

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 14:19:49 PDT 2008

Please plan to attend this event as members of SF-LUG.  On Saturday, April
26, from about 10 a.m. to about 4 p.m, the Mayor's office and 10 or more
organizations in San Francisco will be sponsoring a tech day at this
location:

Mission Recreation Center
2450 Harrison
San Francisco, 94110

The Mission Recreation Center is a huge building, and there will be many
different kinds of events around digital inclusion happening on multiple
floors.  We will have the opportunity to give away CDs, install (nearly)
Free Software on people's boxes, and generally evangelize with interested
non-profits and individuals from all over San Francisco, but especially the
Mission District.  This event will be similar to the St. Anthony's event,
but on a much larger scale, meaning that more people will be attending this
event than have attended the St. Anthony's event.

Unfortunately, I will be teaching the GIMP class at the school that
Saturday, so while I will be able to take a significant role in setting up
this event, I will not actually be able to attend on the day of the event.
All we will really need is a few volunteers to help set up the Friday before
the event (April 25) and break down after the event.  We will also need to
have a good number of people who are willing to come and talk about their
favorite distros on the day of the event, and help install (nearly) Free
Software on older boxes that people bring in to the event.

This will be a big event, and there will be media there, and so plan to come
and talk to people about Free Software.  We are anticipating between 200 and
500 people will attend this event, maybe more.  The Mayor's office has had
two reps coming to all of the meetings for planning this event, and so it
will likely be well attended.  The estimate of 200 to 500 is probably
conservative.

Thanks in advance.