[sf-lug] hi

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 20:24:32 PDT 2008

hi

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 07:41:22PM -0700, david perez wrote:
> >    I would like to test out Linux as my winDohs system always crashes.
> Does
> >    anyone have a spare computer to part with so I could experiment?
>
> If you have spare disk space, you can always install Linux on a
> separate partition.  Most modern Linux distribution installers include
> a way for resizing the Windows section of your drive, to make space for
> Linux.

I personally would be cautious about messing with the hard drive on a
production proprietary machine.  I am a relatively simple end user who is
climbing the learning curve, and I have learned a lot, and I can do about 25
script commands or so, but I still would not partition a hard drive with any
kind of proprietary operating system on it.  For me, there are just too many
issues with re-installing a proprietary operating system.  Now I have not
used any proprietary operating system since 2001, except for about a total
of maybe 1 hour here and there in little bits, but I just recall having to
call tech support constantly for stupid things.