[sf-lug] external usb hard drive

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 07:53:14 PDT 2008

--- Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> You're running Debian-stable.  You can't get advanced, near-edge
> software prepackaged in Debian-stable; that's simply not what that
> development track is for.  The Debian-stable track is for boringly
> stable and ultra-reliable versions of everything provided, usually at
> the expense of being behind the curve on software versions and thus
> recent features.
>
> If you want ultra-stable, boringly predictable prepackaged binary
> software, stay with Debian-stable.  If you want access to
> cutting-edge
> software, upgrade to the testing or unstable tracks (or testing with
> access to unstable).  Pick one.  ;->

I was hoping I could use stable and on a case by case basis add what
I need/want (I expect there won't be much.)
Is that completely unrealistic?
If nothing else, it certainly forces me to learn more about how things
are put together.  That's got to be a good thing (even if it might be
thought by some to be a bit masochistic.)
As always, appreciate your input.
alex

a_kleider at yahoo.com