[sf-lug] swfdec (was: "Educating Tux: case studies of Linux deployments in high schools around the world")

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Mar 13 21:30:21 PDT 2008

Tyler Trafford wrote:
> Christian Einfeldt wrote:
>
>> hi
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 8:12 PM, Tyler Trafford <ttrafford at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Why is it everyone is always talking about waiting for Gnash when swfdec
>>> is available now?
>>>
>> Have you been unable to visualize any sites with swfdec?
>>

> I don't use many sites with flash, but YouTube works with the version in
> Debian sid.  There's a newer version out that is supposed to be better.

Here's a blurb from GNOME 2.22 release page
(http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.22/):

      3.4. DVD, Digital TV, and More

GNOME's Movie Player now offers improved support for DVD playback as
well as support for digital television (DVB). Also appearing in 2.22 is
a selection of new plugins, including support for MythTV, Youtube, and
Tracker-based searching. This release also features playlist sharing and
the ability to select subtitles for files.

GNOME 2.22 premieres the capability to preview and play Flash content
and video using the free and open Flash decoder swfdec.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University