[sf-lug] external usb hard drive

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 19:42:28 PDT 2008

I bought myself a Maxtor OneTouch4 Plus 750GB external usb hard drive
and am having difficulty getting it mounted on my _Debian_ machine.

When connected to my _Ubuntu_ (7.10) machine things work well but it
all happens without involvement from me:
It is "auto recognized" (my term to mean that an icon appears on the
desk top and double clicking on it provides me with a file browser
with the functionality to examine the drives contents and move files
onto and off of it.) I moved a lot from the Ubuntu machine onto the
external drive and all the files had the owners and privileges
I expected.
Execution of the mount command without parameters tells me that the
file type is fuseblk, which I gather is standard for external usb
hard drives.

Trying to mount this device onto the Debian machine however does not go
well.
When plugged in to the usb port, it is recognized by the Debian system
(I'm working at a virtual terminal here)
as evidenced by 13 lines of output correctly identifying the make
and model of the device and including the following which I've
selected as probably being the most useful information:
usb 1-2: new... using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from one choice
..
SCSI device sda: 1465149168 512-byte hdwr sectors (750156 MB)
sda: write protect is off
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1
sd 0:0:0:0 Attached scsi disk sda

and it hangs there until I hit <enter> which gives me the prompt again.

Having previously created a /maxtor directory
I've tried
# mount -t fuseblk /dev/sda1 /maxtor
but get:
unknown file type fuseblk

# mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /maxtor
initially made me very happy because I can now read the directory
BUT I can not create a new directory
or write to the device.
.. even though I am working as root.

Not only that, but ls -l reveals that the ownerships are all root
and the privileges are set for root only and
no privileges are given to group or all. Not at all what was
reported by the same command when connected to / executed on the
Ubuntu machine.

Is the problem that ntfs is the WRONG file type to use
and that I need to figure out how to get fuseblk implemented?

alex

a_kleider at yahoo.com