[sf-lug] "Educating Tux: case studies of Linux deployments in high schools around the world"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 12 14:53:57 PDT 2008

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> That "major" component comprises 0.2% of the install, as I demonstrated
> before.

So, per you, 100 lines of source code from my Web browser, which I use
all the time, is equally "major" on my system to 100 lines of source
code from /usr/bin/metacity, which I don't use at all?  Prominence of
code to the user's experience doesn't matter?  What a crock!

I don't think anyone else is likely to be fooled.

> No, there is no one else here but you, Rick, who thinks that I am being
> dishonest, AFAIK.

Oh, and I'm sure you've conducted a poll when I wasn't looking (and
decided to ignore Bill Kendrick).  ;->

> Everyone knows that I giving out Ubuntu boxes with Flash on it.

> In fact, Rick, you helped install Ubuntu on these boxes, and you
> have referred to these boxes as open source before....

1.  I have, in fact, _not_ done that -- let alone going around in public
    _proclaiming_ them to be "FOSS boxes".
2.  As an aside, nobody told me that the Installfest for School OS loads
    included proprietary add-ons, just that it had some sort of Ubuntu 7.10.
    (No reason why they should have, of course.)

> Also, when I give boxes to newbies, I talk with them about Richard's four
> freedoms.

Well, with luck, then, they fell _asleep_ before that misrepresentation
about "FOSS boxes" could register.  ;->

> I have never made the claim that these boxes are gNewSense only.

"Objection, Your Honour.  Irrelevant and unresponsive."

> I have added no non-Free software to the boxes that you helped build on
> March 1 other than Adobe Flash.

As trial attorneys like to say, "Do you remember the question?"  The
question was:  What other proprietary software (beyond the Adobe Flash
interpreter) is on such boxes?  (If the applicable answer is "I don't
know", that's perfectly OK.)

> FOSS saves keystrokes, Rick.

And destroys clarity and marketing effectiveness.  Congratulations.