[sf-lug] "Educating Tux: case studies of Linux deployments in high schools around the world"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 12 14:10:01 PDT 2008

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> I have never referred to Flash as Free Software or Open Source Software or
> FOSS.  I am referring to the boxes that our SF-LUG is giving to students as
> FOSS, because they are approximately 99% FOSS.

If you go out of your way to refer to a machine as a "_FOSS_ box"[1],
when people find out that at least one major component is -- in fact --
proprietary software, they'll rightfully consider your terminology more
than a bit dishonest, and wonder what _else_ you're deliberately
stretching the truth about.  Thus my point.

When I install and use proprietary software on Linux, FreeBSD, or
Solaris boxes, I don't attempt to con listeners by going out of my way
to claim the computers are "open source".

(By the way, what other proprietary software _do_ you include on such
boxes?  You ducked my question about that, earlier.  Do you even _know_?)

[1] For reasons previously mentioned, of it being an excellent example
of wilfully incompetent marketing, I personally eschew the term "FOSS".