[sf-lug] "Educating Tux: case studies of Linux deployments in high schools around the world"

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 13:19:12 PDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Charles N Wyble (charles at thewybles.com):
>
> > Dude. You have some very serious myopic view of the world issues. Chill
> out.
> > Its people like you with a jihad attitude that turn people off to FLOSS
> > software.
>
> Dude.  What part of "I have no problem with Christian liking proprietary
> software,

It's not that I _like_ lockdown.  Newbies typically will reject boxes that
cannot see YouTube, and Gnash is not yet up to speed with all Flash sites.
I believe that it is better to have 99.999% of a loaf (a newbie who migrates
to FOSS) than no loaf at all (the newbie continues on in the Microsoft
Windows world.

> but just object to him calling it open source" are you still not
> quite getting?

I have never referred to Flash as Free Software or Open Source Software or
FOSS.  I am referring to the boxes that our SF-LUG is giving to students as
FOSS, because they are approximately 99% FOSS.  IMHO, 99% is fairly close to
gNewSense.  Most important, we have broken their dependence on the Microsoft
business network.  It is better to have only one competitor to deal with
(Adobe) rather than the entire constellation of Microsoft business partners,
which number in the thousands.