[sf-lug] Fwd: [UMALUG] bash scripting question

Tyler Trafford ttrafford at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 06:15:11 PST 2008

Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Tyler Trafford wrote:
>
>> Asheesh Laroia wrote:
>>
>>> Right, I realize etckeeper doesn't publish.  What I mean is, I want
>>> to version everything with etckeeper, sensitive files and all.
>>>
>>> I also want to show my friends, "Go to asheesh.org/$servername/etc/
>>> and see a gitweb (or similar) of /etc with the sensitive files not
>>> visible."
>>
>> The attached patch, applied to /etc, adds an "etckeeper publish"
>> command that creates a publishable repo by cloning and removing all
>> sensitive data from the commit history.
>>
>> Output directory and files to remove are configurable in
>> /etc/etckeeper/publish.conf.
>
> Wow, this is amazingly great.
>
> Have you shared this with the etckeeper upstream?

I haven't, because I only just wrote it, and it still needs polish.  For
instance, one major thing is that if any files specified in PRIVFILES
are outside of the temporary work directory they will be rm -rf'd.

That's easy to fix, but I need to do that before sending it anywhere
official.
--
Tyler Trafford

A sect or party is an elegant incognito devised to save a man from
the vexation of thinking.
		-- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journals, 1831