[sf-lug] Fwd: [UMALUG] bash scripting question

Tyler Trafford ttrafford at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 21:52:45 PST 2008

Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> Right, I realize etckeeper doesn't publish.  What I mean is, I want to
> version everything with etckeeper, sensitive files and all.
>
> I also want to show my friends, "Go to asheesh.org/$servername/etc/ and
> see a gitweb (or similar) of /etc with the sensitive files not visible."

The attached patch, applied to /etc, adds an "etckeeper publish" command
that creates a publishable repo by cloning and removing all sensitive
data from the commit history.

Output directory and files to remove are configurable in
/etc/etckeeper/publish.conf.

It probably needs some polish, but it works for me.  Only works with
git, as I don't know mercurial. (-and I think it can't history like this
anyway)

Just re-run "etckeeper publish" to write a new sanitized repo every so
often.
--
Tyler Trafford

A sect or party is an elegant incognito devised to save a man from
the vexation of thinking.
		-- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journals, 1831