[sf-lug] Fwd: [UMALUG] bash scripting question

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Mar 5 13:23:49 PST 2008

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Asheesh Laroia (asheesh at asheesh.org):
>
>> What I'd really like to do is publish e.g. a gitweb of my /etc so I can
>> point friends (and enemies...?) to my config files as samples they can
>> base on.  But this means I'd end up publishing /etc/shadow and other
>> sensitive files.
>>
>> Does etckeeper have a way to publish e.g. only the files that are
>> readable by the world on the local UNIX system?
>
> 1.  etckeeper doesn't "publish".  Your initial dilemma with it is to
> include or don't include sensitive files in the local repository:  I
> believe one specifies that in git using a .gitignore file.  (Feel free
> to verify that SWAG[1].  ;-> )  Personally, I think it'd be silly _not_
> to version _somewhere_ the security-sensitive files within /etc.  I
> mean, the whole point of etckeeper is to capture all state changes of
> everything important to your system configuration.

Right, I realize etckeeper doesn't publish.  What I mean is, I want to
version everything with etckeeper, sensitive files and all.

I also want to show my friends, "Go to asheesh.org/$servername/etc/ and
see a gitweb (or similar) of /etc with the sensitive files not visible."

I guess the answer is just to hack up gitweb myself to check the metastore
for permissions before showing stuff.

> 2.  I believe the question you meant to ask is "Does _git_ have a way to
> replicate to elsewhere (via "git clone" and so on), only the files that
> are readable by the world on the local Unix system?"  Feel free to
> investigate on your own how to restrict what "git clone" and such are
> willing to replicate.  (I'm way too busy to research that, myself, at
> the moment.  I'm also not a seasoned git user, and trying really hard
> not to solve problems with it that aren't necessary to my situation.)

(-:

>> (And does it let you do interesting things as far as merging config
>> changes from one system to another?)
>
> In itself, no.  That's simply not within scope.

Okay.

-- Asheesh.

--
Hi!  I'm Larry.  This is my brother Bob, and this is my other brother
Jimbo.  We thought you might like to know the names of your assailants.