[sf-lug] [job posting] linux/unix sys adm in san francisco
jim at well.com
Sat Mar 1 09:44:53 PST 2008
Title: System Administrator Linux and UNIX (Solaris)
Location: San Francisco, CA 94105
Salary Range: $80K - $120K
Employment Status: Full-Time/Employee
* Responsible for the installation, configuration, administration, and
tuning of application servers and web servers. Run necessary system
* Provide technical support on application server-related and web
* Respond to trouble-tickets via an internal application and/or phone
* Apply new knowledge (through training, mentoring, documented
processes) to handle more difficult tasks.
* Plan and document systems, respond to all inquiries of systems for
which you are responsible.
* Use intelligence, scripting, and tools to manage change from
development to testing to production environments.
* A very solid understanding of a UNIX-based operating system: virtual
memory, file system concepts, processes, TCP/IP networking, signals
communications and IPC, can use performance analysis to tune systems.
* Fundamental understanding of a UNIX-based operating system; for
example, understands job control, soft and hard links, distinctions
between the kernel and the shell.
* Solid understanding of networking/distributed computing environment
concepts; understands principles of routing, client/server
communication, and the design of consistent network-wide file system
* Familiarity with networked/distributed computing environment
concepts; for example, can use the route command, add a workstation to
a network, and mount remote filesystems.
* Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (Perl, bash,
Programming experience in any applicable language.
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of conveying
ideas and applying knowledge to challenging tasks. Open to new ideas
and technologies, and wants to learn. Writing basic documentation.
Works well in a team.
* Solid experience with specific operating systems (SunOS, Solaris,
Linux; HP* and AIX), applications, and programming languages (Shell
scripts, Perl; Python and C a plus) in use at the site.
* Solid experience with sites running more than one UNIX-based
operating system. Familiarity with both System V and BSD-based UNIX
operating systems. Experience with non-UNIX operating systems (for
example, Windows family, MacOS) a plus.
* Experience with VxVM, Veritas Clustering, DiskSuite; LVM and similar
Must Have - Linux, TCP/IP, DNS, Apache, basic network trouble shooting,
Pluses - Nagios, SAN, MySQL, Solaris, Perl, HPUX, AIX, Tomcat,
Weblogic, Dell Hardware.
IP Merit; monthly performance plan
401(k), 6% contribution at 90 days of service, 100% Vested
Company sponsored medical (Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield) and dental
IPsoft (http://www.ipsoft.com), founded in 1998, is an industry-leading
managed services provider offering a complete solution to enterprise
customers for outsourcing global IT infrastructure operations.
Please apply on our career site at IPsoft Career Page or send a resume
and cover letter to dustin.long at ipsoft.com.
More information about the sf-lug